Raising Mentally Healthy Kids
Positive skills for handling stress and change promotes mental wellbeing.
Change and stress are normal parts of life. Teaching children how to cope with upsetting change and stress helps them be healthier and happier.
These things seem to strengthen a child's ability to cope with stress in their lives:
- Stable, supportive family life
- Stable relationship with a mentally healthy adult
- Positive connections to community life - school, faith community, neighbors
- Practice and success in solving problems
- Skills in connecting to other people
- Recognition of emotional needs and knowing how to care for them